[Magdalen] Music question

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Nov 18 16:40:25 UTC 2016

In a message dated 11/18/2016 11:10:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

German  is challenging, at least to get a more native sound. There are
subtleties  of long vs. short  vowels.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back in the day, there was a requirement for pre-medical students
at UW-Madison, to have a specified number of Greek or Latin credits,
and French or German language credits.

The Latin was no problem for me since we had 4 years of Latin in
high school.  I had, therefore, to decide between French and
German.

I was counseled by an upper classman to stick with French, because
there were substantial numbers of students who spoke German in
Wisconsin, and took the elementary German course as an easy "A".
It was hard for someone without German experience to compete.

How right he was.  The guys right across the dormitory hall from  me
took German and simply floundered.  One finished a semester with  a
"C" and the other dropped the German course.

With the near universality of English summaries in the medical  literature,
the French/German language requirement is gone, but the Greek/Latin
remains.

David S.

I had no such problem with French.

David S.