[Magdalen] Christ the King, a South African perspective

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 09:54:12 UTC 2016

A blessed Christ the King to all....made it to church this morning and
heard Habakkuk read from three different locations in the church.

Two things I'd like to share - firstly a cheerful little ditty from the
"singing policeman", who deals with the worst humanity has to offer but
knows how to to make a difference.

Secondly, for those who have time, our retired Con Court judge Albie Sachs
speaks in a TV interview about "we, the people" topic of his new book.

With a pen, a sheet of paper on a plastic kitchen table, together with
Kader Asmal (later Minister of Education in the Mandela government), Albie
drafted South Africa's first ever Bill of Rights.

He says, "a Bill of Rights must come from the heart...it must declare
itself in the mouths of multitudes" (possible misquote but that's the gist
of it). At the end of the interview he speaks about the USA in words of
encouragement and hope.

I am sure that his words will resonate with many list sibs who have
personal memories of earlier struggles for justice and civil rights.

We clearly have much to do up here on the ramparts and who knows what this
time of exile will achieve, God willing...

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2016/11/18/WATCH-Singing-Potch-cop-nabs-peoples-hearts-with-viral-video

https://www.enca.com/south-africa/interview-albie-sachs-talks-we-the-people

Sally D