[Magdalen] can't open photo attached to email...

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 03:37:32 UTC 2016

You raise a very good point. We absolutely need to be vigilant about this
sort of thing, and we
re all at risk. I had a virus of some kind on my system, and had to restore
my operating system. I don't know where I got it, but I would not be
surprised if I got it from something like this.  At some time or other, all
of us, perhaps in a hurry or just not thinking, will attempt to open
something and infect our system.

I remember that someone at my hospital accidentally opened an attachment,
and soon the entire hospital network was infected. The remedy, fortunately,
was a patch applied to the system, but having to do this to every PC took
time from our IT department, and they were not pleased.

If an email looks funny, and it has an attachment, do not open it.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford