[Magdalen] Two questions for the assembled multitude

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 02:47:21 UTC 2016

1. We use purple, but I've been a member of parishes that used blue. I
think the main reason is to differentiate Advent from Lent and
emphasize each season's particular emphases and character rather than
regarding Advent as another Lent, essentially. Doesn't mean Advent
isn't penitential at all (penitence is part of preparation). But
there's more of a joyful expectation, and those who use blue sometimes
explain that the blue expresses that expectation (and some might say
it reflects Mary's expectation, and blue is often considered a Marian
color). One clue about the BCP's take on this is in the opening
versicle and response of The Holy Eucharist, where a special set is
given "in Lent and other penitential occasions." If they meant Advent
to be one of those occasions, wouldn't they have simply said, "In
Advent, Lent, and other penitential occasions"? So Advent isn't
primarily penitential, but it is preparatory. I'm OK with purple, but
I understand the use of blue.

2. Some may know of a theological reason for Body before Blood, but I
think it might just be the practical notion that generally one eats,
then drinks. And it's the same order in which Our Lord is said to have
given these things to those at table. However, the BCP (in one of the
Articles, I think) teaches that to receive just one or the other is to
receive the full Sacrament

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA