[Magdalen] A birthday musing

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:41:38 UTC 2016

This day is the anniversary of the birth of my first child, Benjamin
Weigel. He would have been 46 today, which is a scary enough thought in
itself. I often wonder what kind of man he would have turned out to be. We
only had him for 3 months, barely enough time to get to know him, when he
died of SIDS. We weren't all *that* young when he was born (26 and 27), but
we weren't financially stable and were living paycheck to paycheck during
my pregnancy. My late ex lost his job while I was in the hospital and it
was several weeks before he found another, so it was an "interesting" time
to be with a young baby, but we survived. We were just getting back on our
feet again when we lost him. I sometimes wonder if I would have stayed with
his father had I not wanted another baby so badly. Sam was born 20 months
after Benjamin died.