[Magdalen] Two questions for the assembled multitude

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Nov 28 17:27:01 UTC 2016

On 11/27/16 8:22 PM, Arthur Laurent wrote:
> My two (or three) questions for this Sunday:
>
> 1.  When did the Episcopal Church begin using Blue instead of Purple as the color for Advent? Why Blue?

I'm getting into this late, and have seen all your other responses.  I
just want to add some "gossip" about the word "Sarum", which may or may
not puzzle you.
It seems to be a "magic word" in the Episcopal Church especially, maybe
also CofE (ask Roger).  It appears to me to be such because it's British
Tradition and NOT Roman, so you can still be Anglo-Cat while distancing
yourself and your part of the Church from Rome.
There are a lot of colors called Sarum: I haven't done the research to
find sources for these: I've also heard Orange for Angeltide, for example.

"Sarum" the 1987 novel by Edward Rutherford is a very good read, if you
like medieval historical fiction.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IEGUDY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Sarum

http://taylormarshall.com/2005/12/liturgical-colors-in-sarum-rite.html
http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2013/11/25/sarum-blue-the-great-untruth/
http://www.sevenwholedays.org/2013/11/24/singing-the-sarum-blues/
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwjCj9rd-svQAhVB5GMKHTz8AqwQFggwMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanglicanhistory.org%2Fessays%2Fwright%2Fsarum.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFLE_RHG8HbVhEANH-if8Xhu4FdLg&sig2=Blkn3Vpoe5yAIYOXJqM2Iw
or
http://tinyurl.com/hycykvl
https://offerimus.wordpress.com/2013/12/13/on-liturgical-colors/

My URL contribution to the Sarum in the Episcopal Church can of worms.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net