[Magdalen] Two questions for the assembled multitude

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 19:00:33 UTC 2016

In a message dated 11/28/2016 1:29:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

Sarum  colors  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In liturgical architectural mode:

I have visited Salisbury quite a few times over a 50 year period, and
always come away from the Cathedral feeling the sanctuary there
needs focus.

During that 50 year period, they got rid of their smallish sculptural
reredos, and replaced it with a sterile gold-colored immense bare
cross that reminds me of the one in my brother's Methodist church.

Then they removed the Victorian stained glass in the Lady Chapel just
to the east of the sanctuary, and replaced it with medieval colored
abstract stained glass.

Finally, they have opted for lavish, beautiful, and highly colored
Jacobian frontals with a new, striking cross and candle set on altar,
and removed the huge modern cross.

The changes are nice, but the awkwardness of the east arches
remains.  If ever there should have been  an enormous  sculptural
reredos a la Winchester and Saint Albans, that would cover up
the whole east end, it would be at Salisbury.

David S.