[Magdalen] Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:11:15 UTC 2016

I like roast chestnuts but would not recommend repeating my first attempt
at making them after moving to England...in the microwave.

Microwaves were a new thing then but exploding chestnuts weren't their best
offering.

Those are the sweet chestnuts that come in large prickly cases, most of
which are torn apart by squirrels. We gathered up the crumbs under their
table, thats for sure. They were soft, sweet and delicious, but there again
I am a fan of all tree nuts (so far).

I miss collecting wild food, something we did often in England -
blackberries, elderberries, rose hips for wines and syrups, hazelnuts and
chestnuts...

The other chestnuts I know from there are the ones kids use to make
"conkers", pretty but completely inedible even by horses though they are
called "horse chestnuts". I brought one back in my pocket but it didn't
grow, it probably didn't like South Africa.

Sally D