[Magdalen] GoldenTulip Soup Re: Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fires,

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 17:20:07 UTC 2016

Soup named after restaurant located under/near a Tulip Tree in Accra, Ghana

Golden Tulip Soup
West African Peanut Soup
(I got this recipe from the chef at the Golden Tulip Restaurant in Accra,
Ghana - E. Keaton+)

Ingredients:

2 - 3 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoon curry powder
2 large onions, sliced or minced
2 tablespoons minced garlic (more or less to taste)
4 medium – large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
4 cans (14 oz.) vegetable or chicken broth
1 (28 oz) can stewed, whole tomatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks

Salt to taste (1-2 tsp.)
Black pepper to taste (1-2 tsp.)
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 small (18 oz) jar  peanut butter
1 small (14 oz) can coconut milk (I find the Thai brand less expensive)

Heat 2 T peanut oil in large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat.
Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly for one minute. Add onions
and cook, stirring occasionally for two minutes. Add garlic and cook for one
more minute. Stir in sweet potatoes, broth and tomatoes, and bring soup to a
boil. Simmer, covered, thirty to forty minutes.

Add salt, black pepper, cayenne, peanut butter, and coconut milk to the
soup, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 20
minutes. Adjust seasonings according to taste.

Optional: Add  meat or fish (suggestions: already cooked and shredded
chicken or shrimp - EK+ says shrimp is delightful) and cook, stirring with a
wooden spoon to break any clumps until warmed through.

Serve hot, garnished with chopped chives. Great with a light salad and
croissant or flaky, crescent rolls. I think a light white wine, like Pinot
Grigo is a nice compliment to this meal

(the Rev'd) Elizabeth Kaeton
Slightly modified by Lynn Ronkainen (and taste tested, of course)

I sometimes give it a bit of a whirl with the submersible blender, but not
*completely* smooth. I have never added meat or fish.

Lynn
M - your soup sounds wonderful and I  love the 'clay pot' sub info! : )  I
too have one of those clay pots in the cupboard!

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr