[Magdalen] Heat advisory.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Oct 1 20:54:56 UTC 2016

In a message dated 10/1/2016 2:56:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

Fancy,  like Edinburgh. So posh Pittsburghers can say "Pittsbruh." And
flip the r  for even greater posh.  :)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The American English dialect around Pittsburgh would have to struggle
to be at all posh.  At least that's the impression I used to get when  so
many of the flight crews on USAir were from Pittsburgh.  It struck  me
as a sort of non-stop elision in which the consonants just get washed
into the vowels:  "Assnureatbells" for '"Fasten your seat  belts."

Now it seems Pittsburghese is rarely heard with the almost complete
abandonment of that City by USAir.  Pittsburgh had no sooner built  a
lovely new airport which was a pleasure to pass through not the
least of which was due to the friendliness of the personnel.  I think  with
the loss of its "hub" status, Pittsburgh lost something like 15,000  jobs.
Airlines can be more cavalier than professional football owners the
way they can "give and then take away."

Despite its goofy parallel diocese situation, there is the grand old
Calvary Parish.  That makes up for a lot, and I'd love to be a  regular
there.

David S.