[Magdalen] Another "worthless" food.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 23:05:42 UTC 2016

Sibyl will you share your candied citrus peel recipe?
Lynn

www.ichthysdesigns.com

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'. attributed to Erma Bombeck

On Oct 2, 2016, at 1:51 PM, Sibyl Smirl <polycarpa3 at ckt.net> wrote:

> On 9/30/16 11:17 AM, Jay Weigel wrote:
> EAT your orange at breakfast, don't drink orange juice! Or put it in a
> smoothie where you get the benefit of the whole thing (except the seeds and
> peel, of course). Fresh fruits are the BEST!

Orange peel is great for you, except from distributors who like to make the peel "oranger" with "food coloring" to increase sales, to which a lot of people are allergic.  I don't appear to be allergic, but I also worry some about residues from insecticide and fungicide sprays.  That isn't enough to keep me from candying it frequently, and then eating it like candy, or dipped in chocolate, which is even nicer (for me) as well as using the chopped candied peel in baking recipes.  I have one Extreme Health Food recipe which is delicious, for bran muffins, which includes directions to run a sliced orange, complete with peel, but seeded (I use navel oranges, lazy about the slicing and seeding) through your blender or food processor, peel and all, then using the result as an ingredient.  I do it with lemons, too, also delicious (to me: tastes vary).

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net