[Magdalen] Another "worthless" food.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 00:11:44 UTC 2016

In a message dated 10/2/2016 7:41:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
houstonklr at gmail.com writes:

Apparently Michigan is now (and perhaps for a while) offering tax  rebates
for planting acreages  with various pine varieties. It was quite  lovely to
see random wooded acres with large stands of trees. I'm not sure if  they
may eventually be harvested or thinned but I do think that it is partly a
green imitative for air quality.
Lynn  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think all the Upper Midwestern USA states have programs for tree  and
scrub planting.  The northern half of Wisconsin has been transformed  into
a huge Red (Norway):Pine forest secondary to these giveaways because
they are the favorite species in the program  My son and I once  planted
1,000 pine seedlings on the empty highway right-of-way on the other side
of the cul de sac where we lived in Eau Claire,  It was pouring rain,  and
the best possible time to do such planting.  Those trees are now  averaging
50'

There is very little genetic variability in Red Pine DNA, and it is
therefore
speculated that the species went through a near extinction event  probably
at the time of the Pleistocene Glaciation.  The species has been
artificially
spread throughout the Lake States by the millions.

David S.