[Magdalen] Hey, you, in Matthew's path!

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 00:54:14 UTC 2016

Just picking this up.  John and I live in Summerville, SC which is 25-30
miles from the coast, as the crow flies.  We have not evacuated. Our house
is substantial, having been build in 1910.  We need a new roof and have
that set for November, if the wind blows very hard, we may have some
leaks.  We do not want to leave our cat, who is a 'fraidy cat and does not
go in the car well.  An tall oak tree on the living side of our house could
fall...and fall on our roof.  We shall see....I just don't think this storm
is going to be so awful.  We lived through Hurricane Hugo in this
hourst...Hugo was a Cat. 4 that came onto land at Charleston.  The eye of
the storm passed through Summerville.

We are not likely to get hurricane force winds here.  We will definitely
have tropical storm force winds - Max 39 mph, if the track does not
change.  And lots of rain.  I just saw a report that says we may get up to
10 inches.  Our property is not low, but last year (same week) when the
1000 year storm came to the lowcountry, we had about 6 inches of standing
water on one side of our lot.  Summerville is drained by a system of canals
that were dug in the 1800s and have been upgraded by the Army Corps of
Engineers.  They work well to drain high water after a big rain.

So, that's the Wilder story, and let's hope we don't earn our last name.

Ginga