[Magdalen] baptism: Avery Grace

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 18:32:36 UTC 2016

In my parish in Tennessee, the priest *always* invited all the children to
gather around at baptisms. Always. And older children in the family always
stood with the family when the youngest was baptized. The point was that we
are all part of the family of God. Afterward, the newly baptized was always
carried up and down the aisle to greet his/her new brothers and sisters in
Christ. In the case of an older child or adult, the process was the same
except they walked beside the priest. It was a lovely time. In the Lutheran
church I now attend, children aren't invited to gather around, but the font
is up front and can be seen very well and when there is a baptism the kids
and their parents usually sit close to the front. The little one is then
carried about to greet the congregation while we sing "Children of the
Heavenly Father".

And yes, Marion, Grace is very popular now for little girls. We seriously
considered it as a middle name for a second daughter as it was my
grandmother's younger sister's name,,,,never had that second daughter
though.