[Magdalen] Life's blessings

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Oct 22 23:27:01 UTC 2016

In a message dated 10/22/2016 7:00:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
houstonklr at gmail.com writes:

...and  now a days "candidates" just find a dio that will - which often
happens with  sometimes disastrous results.
Lynn  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was on the Commission on the Ministry in the Diocese of Eau Claire
for many years.  Being a small diocese, there weren't many  candidates
for Holy Orders, but there was a steady trickle.

In the couple of decades I served on that committee, we turned down  only
one candidate for ordination.  His father was a well respected  professor
a Lutheran seminary.

Academics were no problem for this ordinand, and he was attending
Nashotah Theological Seminary outside of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
The problem was that he was unduly fixated on the mechanics of
the Liturgy, and even at his early station in the discernment  process,
seemed much more interested in comparing types of incense than
in the spiritual side of his calling.  He had been advised of  this
tendency several times.

It was a painful ordeal for ordinand and the committee members, but  he
was turned down for ordination.

He simply found a diocese in the Anglican Church of Canada that would
ordain him, and eventually ended up in the USA Midwest in an  appropriately
super high church parish.

David S.