[Magdalen] DT reads

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Oct 23 18:03:37 UTC 2016

On 10/23/16 11:13 AM, Sibyl Smirl wrote:

> ObAng:  Martin Luther King, Jr. is a TEC "Saint" (April 2), and
> Belafonte quotes an amazingly "prophetic" passage from his last public
> speech, delivered hours before his death.

      "....And yet the final paragraph of it stuns me still.
      "'Well, I don't know what will happen now,' Martin told that crowd.
      'We've got some difficult days ahead.  But it really doesn't
matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.  I don't
mind....Like anybody, I would like to live a long life.  Longevity has
its place.  But I'm not concerned about that now.  I just want to do
God's will.  And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain, and I've
looked over, and I've seen the promised land.  I may not get there with
you.  But I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the
promised land.  So I'm happy tonight.  I'm not worried about anything.
I'm not fearing any man.  Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of
the Lord.'"

p 330
"My Song: A Memoir" Harry Belafonte

--