[Magdalen] Something new!

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 18:52:16 UTC 2016

Of course I obsessed all morning before they arrived about whether to
tip the plumber and his assistant or not. The consensus online seems
to be that licensed contractors like plumbers definitely do not expect
a tip but that one may be given to express appreciation for an
above-and-beyond job. Installing a toilet isn't technically
above-and-beyond, but it is a big deal and involves some heavy lifting
(of old and new fixtures) and some less-than-enjoyable moments between
removing the old and placing the new. I'm actually ecstatic that this
was done, very soon after I reported the leakage, and that the job was
done smoothly and quickly. The plumber looked surprised and asked why
when I tipped him, and I said it's a big job and was done quickly. He
got the message and accepted. The assistant was our regular building
maintenance guy, and I made sure to say this was for all the help with
this and several other projects. He didn't question it. :)

We're also on the top floor of a three-storey building, so anything
involving bringing something heavy up and down all the stairs is
above-and-beyond in my book.

I forgot to tip the movers who moved our stuff into this apartment
(from our downtown one in 2004) and felt terrible about it for a week.
Apparently tipping movers is also fairly optional, but still...