[Magdalen] Met Opera Shenanigans.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Oct 31 05:29:38 UTC 2016

Yesterday's matinee ("William Tell") and last night's performances
("Italian in Algiers") at New York City's Metropolitan Opera were
canceled after a white powdery substance was dumped into the
orchestra pit at the second intermission of Wm Tell.

It turns out it was the scattering of the ashes of an opera buff from
Dallas, TX.

I was looking back for another Saturday matinee performance
cancellation, and it was in 1987 when a long time opera aficienado
who was depressed, jumped from one of the upper balconies to the
main floor "orchestra" seating.  I was listening to the matinee  when
that happened.  A real explanation was not provided.  It was  a
hard act to follow.

Opera buffs get really crazy at times.  This event gives credence  to
the recent RC pronouncement that ashes were to be disposed of
in places consecrated for that purpose.

David S.