[Magdalen] new ways to deliver baby / was-->Re: Prayer request for a safe delivery

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 13:35:58 UTC 2016

I am aware that they are and do not think this is a good idea. We did not
think it was a good idea when I worked neonatal, and I would guess if you
asked most L&D nurses *anonymously*, they would agree, but they can't say
so for they record because they want to keep their jobs. On the other side,
however, there is a steady but small rise in the use of certified
nurse-midwives and birthing centers where such things don't happen.

In most other first world countries where there is a much *lower* rise in
maternal complications and a correspondingly lower infant mortality rate,
childbirth is not nearly as medicalized. In most European countries, women
can actually *choose* whether or not to have their babies in hospital or at
home and many choose midwives in preference to doctors. In the Netherlands,
the midwife checks in on mom and baby at home for several days following
the birth. Midwives are highly trained and well respected. In Denmark it's
as hard to get into midwifery school as it is to get into medical school!
(I love that the Danish word for midwife translates as "earth mother".)