[Magdalen] RIP Fred Hellerman, 89.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sat Sep 3 15:49:05 UTC 2016

On 9/3/16 9:48 AM, Marion Thompson wrote:
> I cast my mind back a long, long way, to age perhaps + or minus 9 years
> old (was born in 1938) when I was at boarding school in the Eastern
> Townships of Quebec.  My best friend, Helen Weissman, and I used to sing
> Goodnight Irene.  What I can't figure out is how or where I ever could
> have heard it enough to learn it, likewise the Anniversary Song.

Bands always used to do "Goodnight Irene" as their last song of the last
set, even just instrumental, to clue people to get it together and go
home from wherever they were, even things like community "sings" that
didn't have a professional band, and music variety programs on radio
before television.  You were probably familiar with it subliminally even
before you learned to talk.  It was around before there were recordings.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net