[Magdalen] RIP Fred Hellerman, 89.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 16:46:15 UTC 2016

In a message dated 9/3/2016 11:53:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
polycarpa3 at ckt.net writes:

Makes me  sad, like  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Regarding the dance halls and "Good Night Irene,"  I was
relieved to see the Aragon Dance Hall in Chicago's Uptown
district still intact the last time I rode the CTA north to Howard
Street.  I was in it briefly once during its glory days, and the
interior was very remarkable, with its Spanish village look and
starry sky.  All the big bands played there.  It's use as a
standard dance hall ended in 1964.  The Hall is easily visible
from the CTA.

And as to dancing, the activity was very limited in my home
territory in NW Wisconsin, such was the influence of the
ubiquitous Swedish Baptists and Swedish Covenants who had
very strong influence over such matters, and forbade dancing
as being too erotic.

There was a homecoming dance of sorts yearly but the
spring prom was limited to a grand banquet --- nothing more.

I don't know where the Swedes got this, because there certainly
is plenty of dancing in Sweden.