[Magdalen] RIP Fred Hellerman, 89.

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Sat Sep 3 18:58:04 UTC 2016

A memorable concert! As you can see, Lee Hays wasn't well - he died the
following year.

About a month ago I was browsing in the local record shop and came upon an
album (vinyl LP) of Leadbelly in a 1949 concert on (of all things) Playboy
Records. I'd never known that they put out records too. This was,
apparently, the only full-length concert of him ever recorded. He did sing
"Goodnight Irene" with words a little different than what the Weavers had.
It's on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmQXmqbZ3Pc.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com