[Magdalen] RIP Fred Hellerman, 89.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sat Sep 3 21:55:21 UTC 2016

On 9/3/16 4:44 PM, Sibyl Smirl wrote:
> Are you certain that it was _written_ by Leadbelly?  He was the first to
> record it, but it's usually referred to as a folk song, that is, one
> that's been around well before the advent of recorded music.  I wonder
> when the first sheet music or songbook including it was published....
>
> On 9/3/16 12:13 PM, Charles Wohlers wrote:
>> "Goodnight Irene" was written by Huddie Ledbetter (Leadbelly), in the
>> 1930's. It was popularized by the Weavers when they issued it as a
>> single ~1950.
>>
>> Chad Wohlers
>> who just acquired a "treasure trove" of 78's, some >100 yrs. old - but
>> no "Goodnight Irene"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight,_Irene

"The specific origins of "Irene" are unclear. Lead Belly was singing a
version of the song from as early as 1908, which he claimed to have
learned from his uncles Terell and Bob. An 1892 song by Gussie L. Davis
has several lyrical and structural similarities to the latter song; a
copy of the sheet music is available from the Library of Congress.[2]
Some evidence suggests the 1892 song was itself based on an even earlier
song which has not survived. Regardless of where he first heard it, by
the 1930s Lead Belly had made the song his own, modifying the rhythm and
rewriting most of the verses.[3]"

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net