[Magdalen] From an old friend, Albion Land, a sort of general letter to those who remember him

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Sep 4 18:51:02 UTC 2016

10:07am
hi sib. i've just started sharing this today. if you're still in touch
with the crowd over at anglicans online, do feel free to share with
anyone who might remember me and possibly be interested.
At the beginning of July, six months into retirement, I began a new way
of life, one that I had many times thought about doing but never had the
opportunity to act on.

This ‘letter’ is an exercise to help me discern what it is I am doing
and to get a sense of where I am being led. I am thinking out loud and
sharing my thoughts with you and with other special people in my life.

It is a spiritual exercise, a specifically Christian one. Some of you
are nominal, or even practicing, Christians, and will probably
understand what I am doing; if you are ‘Catholic’ Christians, that is
Orthodox, Roman or Anglican, you almost certainly will.

But others of you are agnostics, or even atheists. You may have
difficulty understanding, or even respecting, what I am doing. I simply
ask you to bear with me.

If you are of the praying sort, I ask your prayers for guidance; if you
are not, I will be equally grateful for your kind thoughts, which
themselves are a sort of prayer.

I have begun to live the life of what I call, for the lack of a better
term, that of a semi-hermit, or contemplative. I say semi, because I am
not completely withdrawing from the world but only partially.

My daily life is structured around formal monastic prayer, built on the
Liturgy of Hours (http://www.orthodox.seasidehosting.st) and lectio
divina (spiritual reading). I leave home during the daytime only for
absolute necessities (shopping, doctor’s appointments, dog walking,
etc.) but allow time in the evening for a glass or three of wine with
friends, or even dinner.

It is a peaceful, tranquil way of life that I find myself drawn more and
more into as I live it. And as the days pass, I find myself less and
less interested in going out at all. (That carries with it potentially
dangerous spiritual consequences, and I particularly ask your prayers
for my clarity of mind and the virtue of discernment).

As I said at the beginning, I am trying to understand where this is
leading, if anywhere. I am not doing it on my own, but under the
guidance of my spiritual father in Cyprus and of priests here in Spain.

In the end, assuming I persevere and don’t throw in the towel, I might
simply keep things as they are, aside from a bit of fine-tuning.

However, I might go one, or even two, steps further.

A first step would be to take vows as an idiorrythmic monk. Idiorrythmic
in my case simply means someone who lives separately, holds property,
supports himself and may or may not have a formal association with a
monastery. The vows would be of simplicity (as opposed to poverty),
chastity and obedience (either to my spiritual father or to the abbot of
a monastery).

Among other things, that would entail an even fuller cycle of daily and
weekly prayer, adopting a vegetarian diet and fasting more frequently.
It might also involve my taking on some sort of public ministry in the
Church.

While I think there is a possibility that I might eventually choose to
go that route, it is much less likely that I would seek to go a final
step and enter a monastery. Aside from what I consider to be a lack of
workable choices, I wonder if, at my age, I would be able to adapt to
the way of life in a community – starting the day at 3 or 4 in the
morning and spending it under total regimentation.

However, I am giving thought to it, and am even discussing it with a
senior member of the brotherhood of Holy Trinity monastery in
Jordanville, New York, (http://www.jordanville.org), where even someone
of my age would be welcome assuming my health is up to it.

So for now, I am undergoing a period of reflection. That began in
Catalonia at the end of June after I was invited to meet Archpriest Joan
Garcia, the vicar general of the Iglesia Ortodoxa Española, and to
attend a liturgy to commemorate the Feast of Saint John the Baptist. It
was to him that I expressed my thoughts about embarking on this new
life, and it is he who has taken a lead in helping me to focus myself.

The Iglesia Ortodoxa Española (http://www.iglesiaortodoxa.es) is an
autoctonous church in Spain but, for reasons of a historical anomaly, is
under the authority of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

At the beginning of October, the parish in Barcelona will celebrate its
patronal festival, that of the Protection of the Mother of God, and will
be visited by the bishop for Western Europe, Monsignor Luka. I plan to
attend the festivities, during which time I will have a meeting with the
bishop to discuss my vocation, including the possibility of being made a
lector (reader) in the Church.

A few weeks later, I will head for Cyprus on ‘holiday’ and hope to spend
a few days on retreat at Machairas monastery
(https://orthodoxwiki.org/Machairas_Monastery_(Cyprus)), to which I have
had a close attachment since becoming Orthodox in 2009.

After all that, I hope to have a clearer and stronger sense of what I am
doing, particularly whether it is something that will prove to be
lasting. Afterwards, and assuming that I do feel a continuing
commitment, we will see where this might take us.

You may have noticed that I have talked almost exclusively about the
what but said virtually nothing about the why. That is not a simple
question to answer; I’m not even sure I fully know why.

At the heart of it is a profound awareness, as I begin to approach the
end of my life, of my own sinfulness and of a desire to live in closer
union with God.

Some of you know, and others not, that the monastic life has always had
a pull on me. As young man of about 20 I gave serious thought to
entering that world, but decided not to because I wanted one day to have
a family.

Over the years since, the fascination has continued. While still an
Anglican and studying to become a reader in the Church of England, I
became an oblate of Elmore Abbey, a Benedictine community. During those,
and subsequent years, I also became a regular summer visitor at another
Benedictine house, at Santo Domingo de Silos, in Spain.

Since entering Orthodoxy, I have visited or even stayed at Machairas on
a number of occasions and was also blessed to spend a few days in Ayion
Oros (Mount Athos).

After settling in to my new home in Spain over this past winter and
spring, I began to give thought to ‘what to do with the rest of my
life’, and the idea of a fuller life of prayer presented itself to me a
as a logical extension to a long-followed rule of life that was far less
encompassing and demanding.

Seaside-Hosting
Seaside-Hosting is a free hosting service for non-commercial Seaside
applications. In contrast to a standard file hosting or a virtual server
hosting this service provides a simple to use interface to set up and
run your Seaside applications. It allows you to put your own application
online within m...
orthodox.seasidehosting.st

--
Sibyl Smirl