[Magdalen] Coffee Cups vs Wine Glasses

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 20:53:46 UTC 2016

In a message dated 9/7/2016 2:37:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

Good  heavens, never!

In my experience very few USAns even own a teacup. It's  mugs all around.

"Keeping Up Appearances"

Hyacinth to neighbor Elizabeth at tea time:  "Do you want my fine  bone
China painted with periwinkles, or a beaker (mug)."

Elizabeth:  "Oh, please, a beaker."

Few USA brides list China and crystal or sterling silverware in stores
these
days.  It's stainless steel and pottery for them.  The young also  do not
want items that have to be hand washed, and hand polished.  They  can't
be bothered.

For that matter, most USA department stores don't carry fine China,
crystal,
and sterling silver flatware any more.  For example, Macy's does  not
have any selection of these items.  Bloomingdales does.  All the  old
Marshall Field's and Dayton's stores used to carry a big selection,  but
not any more.

Really fine stores like Sully & Sully, and Gump's still carry  them, of
course.

David S.