[Magdalen] Philiowhy? - Re: Philiioque

Michael Canning mjbcanning at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 00:25:20 UTC 2016

In our "new" Book of Alternative Services (1985), we have the filioque
omitted with this explanation:
"The words “and the son” (filioque) have been removed from the Nicene Creed
in accordance with the Lambeth 1978 Statement: The Conference . . .
requests that all member Churches of the Anglican Communion should consider
omitting the Filioque from the Nicene Creed, and that the Anglican-Orthodox
Joint Doctrinal Commission through the Anglican Consultative Council should
assist them in presenting the theological issues to their appropriate
synodical bodies and should be responsible for any necessary consultation
with other Churches of the Western tradition.
General Synod meeting at Peterborough in 1980 stated that the omission of
the filioque does not imply a change of doctrine or belief on the part of
the Anglican Church."
Blessings,
Michael

--