[Magdalen] Philiowhy? - Re: Philiioque

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 16:09:42 UTC 2016

In a message dated 9/14/2016 8:16:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

These  wonderful old pictures always make me smile. I think of my
grandparents as  tough and resilient. So it comes as a surprise to see the
things they found  shocking.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back in the day, crossing a diocesan line could make a world of
difference.  For instance, crossing the Saint Croix/Mississippi  Rivers
from ultra low church Diocese of Minnesota into the "Biretta Belt"
Dioceses of Eau Claire and Milwaukee was to produce shock waves
traversing in either direction.

There were (still are to some extent) fascinating variations within  the
diocesan boundaries themselves.  For instance. there is the  great
gulf between Saint Paul's ("Mr. Paul's) and All Saints Cathedral in
Milwaukee, with the former rigidly low church and the latter lunatic
fringe high church.  The church structures are kitty-corner from
each other.

Or Saint Chrysostom's, a low church island in Chicago, surrounded
by the likes of Atonement Parish and Scott K's Ascension parish,
both smells and bells locations.

I was always said that the only coped and mitred bishops to be seen
at Minneapolis' Saint Mark's Cathedral, were the several such
pictured in the great Ascension window over the high altar.

With the conclusion of the churchmanship wars in the 1980-1990
period, these differences are much less pronounced.  MN bishops
now wear copes & mitres and Saint Mark's swings incense on
high feast days.

David S.