[Magdalen] E W Swanton.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 18 07:02:54 UTC 2016

On 17/09/2016 23:14, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> For those who know of him (most likely only Brits), it might be of interest to note that I recently, unbeknownst to me until receipt, obtained a book from his personal library.  Wain's 1973 edition of Everyman's Life of Johnson by James Boswell.  Inside the front cover, a "sporty" bookplate with his name, and his signature and "Sandwich" (where he lived) on the facing endpaper.

This particular Brit recognizes the name in connection with cricket
commentating.  I just checked with the "source of all knowledge " (aka
wikipedia) and discovered he died in 2000.  An obituary mentioned that
he was a prisoner of the Japanese for over 3 years so he must have been
tought to survive that.

Roger