[Magdalen] Homeschool Regulation and Religious Liberty

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 19 18:31:49 UTC 2016

On 19/09/2016 13:06, Judy Fleener wrote:
> Even more frightening are movements that will destroy public education,
> including voucher systems and charter schools

As the author says, home-schooling can be done very well but can also be
done very badly.  Education needs to prepare children for today's
world.  Unless you luve in an effectively closed community like the
Amish and similar groups that will mean a multi-cultural and
multi-ethnic society where we all need to get along together even when
our faith and world-view may differ.  That means dealing with things as
they are, not as we might wish them to be or what religious teachers
said centuries in the past, views which do not stand up to scientific or
historic scrutiny.

Yesterday I presided and preached for the first time since my accident
in July.  Asd I still cannot drive the churches where I was provided
transport and on the way back it was from a retired doctor who is a
part-time tutor in anatomy in the School of Medicine in Cambridge
University.  He told me that some Muslim students, quite possibly among
the significant proportion who have come here specifically to study, who
hold fast to the teaching of the Koran that we come from a blob of blood
in our mother's womb.  Obviously the Prophet and his contemporaries did
not have access to the scientific instruments that have been developed
in the centuries since his death and the discoveries they have enabled.
Bevertheless these hardline students stick rigidly to their religious
view and will not accept the result of scientific investigation into the
early development of the embryo.

That lack of understanding of embryology and human development can have
devastating consequences.  Round where I live there is a significant
Bangladeshi community and, as often happens with those from that
country, they will look to people from their home village for a marriage
partner for their children.  If, as if often the case, the village is
quite small that leads inevitably to the marriage of close relatives in
successive generations and congenital conditions developing as the
result of inbreeding.

I am not saying that the propensity of some parents to want to
homeschool to protect their children from this wicked world results in
such difficulties but it is liable to lead to the reinforcement of a
very limited worldview which is stultifying and so damaging to the
offspring.  Externam influence and moderation is vital if the children
are to grow to be effective in the complexities of the modern world.

Roger