[Magdalen] Another "worthless" food.

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 22:33:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 11:09 AM, M J _Mike_ Logsdon <mjl at ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

> Recall my thread a while back about how little tomatoes actually have to
> offer.

​Some varieties are very good sources of lycopine and Vit C.​

> "A medium peach, weighing 100 g (3.5 oz), contains small amounts of
> essential nutrients, but none is a significant proportion of the Daily
> Value.  Nectarines have similar low content of nutrients." - Wikipedia.

​What it doesn't mention is the high fiber content, something I certainly
need.​

>> I'm left to wonder, though.  Why has the Nutritional World always
> advocated ALL (generally, that is) fruits and vegetables as "good for us",
> if at least some of them ultimately amount to little more than water?

​As far as nutrients - eggplants are low, but can also be very tasty.​

> My guess is, better to stuff oneself on "worthless" fruits and vegetables
> than crap that'll kill us.

​Isn't that the truth.

Coming back from our trips, the garden is mostly done. I have a few
tomatoes and peppers​

​yet, as well as a bed of sweet potatoes to pick when frost threatens. I
have beans that completely dried on the vine; but that was fine as I was
growing a couple of heirlooms for dry use. Our fig has had its first fruits
this year, may get a few more yet. My fairly new golden delicious apple
tree gave us 1 this year​, and our windsap will give us 3. As they age, the
harvest will get much larger, still fun to enjoy the first ones.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted