[Magdalen] Quiet

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 19:20:15 UTC 2017

In a message dated 4/3/2017 2:58:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

And  bayous! We ain't got no bayous here on the Chicago Plain, formerly
the  bottom of ancient Lake  Chicago.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chicago is also the eastern limit (by some maps) of the
"Prairie Wedge,", that strip of Southern Wisconsin and
Northern Illinois that was kept open with grassland and
scattered Bur Oaks, probably by Native American periodic
burning because the game was attracted to grasslands.

Of the various plains plants, the most notable was the
Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii). Botanists I know are
positively ga-ga (not to be confused with Lady GaGa!)
over this species..  If the UW-Arboretum had its way,
all Southern Wisconsin lawns would be plowed up and
sowed with Big Bluestem.

David S (who raised mostly Kentucky Bluegrass
(Poa pratensis) in his lawn until I came to Pennsylvania.
It's all rhododendrons and azaleas now.