[Magdalen] Weather

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Wed Apr 5 03:26:30 UTC 2017

On 4/4/17 9:58 PM, P. Dan Brittain wrote:
> Severe Thunderstorm possibility of worse. Sirens just went off. Heading to
> the closets shortly.

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=sgf

Well within storm area with Harrison, likely same system: it just went
by me a couple of hours ago, but missed my county.  Harrison is in the
third county S, northernmost tier in AR, directly South of Springfield,
MO on this radar.

Breaking News Joplin Globe

http://www.joplinglobe.com/goodman-suffers-extensive-damage-from-storm/article_ddf4631c-19a6-11e7-a287-8bac993296db.html?utm_source=Publicaster&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking_News&utm_content=READ

BARTON COUNTY
breaking
Goodman suffers extensive damage from storm
School, fire station hit

     By Andy Ostmeyer | aostmeyer at joplinglobe.com
     Apr 4, 2017 Updated 31 min ago

GOODMAN, Mo. — A storm earlier tonight caused damage in Goodman,
including to the elementary school and fire station, and minor damage at
the Neosho airport, according to officials in Newton and McDonald counties.

Chris Jennings, Newton County Sheriff, said no deaths have been reported
to his office as yet.

"They do have two injuries," the sheriff said of reports coming from
emergency workers in the Goodman area.

Jennings said the injuries he has received information on were not
particularly serious, but reports are still coming in.

On its Facebook page, the school district confirmed, " ... there has
been extensive damage to Goodman Elementary." The district also said a
custodian was in the building when it was hit but took cover and was not
injured.

Neosho has canceled school across all campuses for Wednesday.

Brett Day, school board president, confirmed that the elementary school
sustained heavy damage and that school officials are planning an
emergency meeting later tonight.

The district also said via Facebook that a transportation team is
currently driving roads to assess damages.

"The area is difficult to navigate right now so please do not try and
access the area unless you are a resident or are authorized personnel."

Neosho Mayor Pro Tem Richard Davidson also said Tuesday night that Hugh
Robinson Memorial Airport sustained minor damage, and that an aircraft
was blown over.

Shortly after 8 p.m., McDonald County Emergency Management officials
announced that the town of Goodman was closed to anyone who wasn't local
and they were advising folks to stay away.

The Empire District Electric Co is reporting that more than 7,700
customers have been impacted as of around 9 p.m. most of them in
southern Newton and McDonald counties, although smaller isolated outages
also are being reported around the region.

"We do have some transmission poles down right now. We are trying to get
an assessment," said Julie Maus, Empire spokesperson.

At 9 p.m., Jennings also said there were trees and power lines down from
straight-line winds all across Newton County, but the most severe damage
appears to be in Goodman, where the city's fire station also had been hit.

Jennings said several Newton County sheriff's deputies have been sent to
the affected areas to assist.

Andy Ostmeyer is the metro editor at the Globe. His email address is
aostmeyer at joplinglobe.com.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net