[Magdalen] Easter Vigil.

Mahoney, W. Michael wmmah at stoneledge.net
Thu Apr 6 17:33:26 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <
magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

> Pius XIII restored the Vigil to its original Holy Saturday time  in
> 1951, but the Liturgy seemed only to  gain general recognition
> in the early 1960's.  I was in the MN Twin Cities by 1963, and  the
> Saint Paul Cathedral implemented the full Easter Vigil Liturgy only
> in 1962.

It could not have been much later that 1954 when I, a pious young acolyte,
stood outside a darkened church with Molly's father and the rest of the
altar party.  We had done the whole thing (altar of repose, etc.) and I was
on a non-chemically induced high.  But not so much that I did not tease the
good Father about using his thoroughly modern Zippo to start the sacred
flame.  He laughed and pointed out that it was just flint and steel and
"what could be more ancient?"  I will remember that service until I no
longer remember anything.

No vigil here in Washington, Va.  But we do do a sunrise service.  Very
early.  Too early.

Mike M.