[Magdalen] Easter Vigil.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 22:05:45 UTC 2017

The Easter Vigil is a very cool thing in theory, but I was somewhat soured
on the idea years ago when a friend and I asked some logistical questions
about our rector's plan to completely scrap the Easter Sunday festival
Eucharist in favor of the Easter Vigil and ended up being blamed for it
being canceled entirely. I haven't quite warmed up to the idea since. I
think I could, if it were held at a decent hour, but I don't like to drive
at night any more.

I have seen a couple of really cool ones on TV, though. The best was from
an African-American RC church, IIRC in St. Louis, and the best part of that
was the baptisms. Their "font" was actually a pool in which the priest
stood about hip-deep. The adult candidates came down into the pool and were
poured on, not immersed, but they did get good and wet. Babies were handed
down and got about half-dunked *and* poured on. It was all quite joyous,
with wonderful singing and some drumming during the service. I could deal
with that.