[Magdalen] Basilica of Saint Peter.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Apr 15 14:32:06 UTC 2017

I watched a portion of the Good Friday Liturgy from Saint Peter's
Basilica, Rome yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised at the
quality of singing of the ?Sistine Choir.  The plainchant  (Gregorian)
was smooth and reminiscent of Solesmes, and the polyphony very
well done, as well.

I've been disappointed and embarrassed at best, and simply
horrified at worst with the choral output from Saint Peter's in
the past, but it's been after an hiatus of several years since I've
tuned into anything from the Basilica, and the change is obvious.

I wonder if this is a legacy of Benedict XVI, who was known to be
unhappy with the Sistine Choir, and had a couple of the English
boys and mens choirs sing for him at the Vatican.  Benedict's
brother was the long time choirmaster of the famous choir at
Regensburg, Germany, and Benedict was exposed there to high
quality singing and chanting.  He was obviously fascinated with
the choir of Westminster Abbey during the joint Anglican-RC
Solemn Evensong there.

I must confess that after all those years singing the Tridentine
Liturgy where the Good Friday vestment color is black, that the
red vestments come as a shock for me.  Actually, the black High
Mass vestment set of the local Tridentines with it's gold and green
orpheys and linings was among the most beautiful in their collection.

Happy Easter Even to all.

David S.