[Magdalen] Say one for me

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 13:34:57 UTC 2017

Well, I carried out my plan to spend Easter Day away from home (thus
skipping the Easter dinner that was happening at home). What I did:

1. After serving as subdeacon for the 11 a.m. Solemn Mass at the
Ascension, I headed over to St. John Cantius Church for Solemn Vespers
at 2:30. It's really part of the daily office of the Canons Regular of
St John Cantius, the religious order of men housed in the convent next
to the church. It was lovely, and the main doors of the church were
wide open to let in the perfectly soothing spring breeze (after it
being quite warm in there with full houses for the two high Masses at
11 and 12:30).

2. I drove up to Evanston via a circuitous route and some heavy
traffic but eventually parked for free in one of their car parks and
had lunch at Chili's (a place I like but my dear partner pooh-poohs
when I suggest it). I did the lone diner thing and felt fine about it.

3. Walked one block south to the Century Cinemas, where I resolved to
pick a film that was (a) starting soon and (b) looked worth seeing. I
saw "Their Finest," a UK film starring people I didn't know (other
than Jeremy Irons in a cameo appearance, and the guy who played
Richard [with the disfigured face] in "Boardwalk Empire"). Well worth
seeing! About 1940 London, keeping calm and carrying on. I laughed and
wept. Really enjoyed it.

4. Drove around a bit, exploring downtown Skokie, while listening to
the BBC World Service (via Sirius/XM) with a really fascinating story
about a New Jersey "outside" artist (sort of a natural art talent,
with no artistic training).

5. Had some chicken for supper at Jollibee (Phillippines fast-food
chain), where I ended up almost despite not wanting to end up there.
Good chicken. I ignored the horrors on the menu, like sweet spaghetti
with hot-dog bits in it.

6. Went home at 9:30 p.m. or so. A very good day, lived as I had
envisioned it, and a good break from both the apartment and the
project. Now I'm back to the project.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA