[Magdalen] Test.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 21:56:53 UTC 2017

Easter does take a lot out of those who observe all the bells and whistles
of holy week.  I used to sing in Kairos, which is the artists in residence
at Holy Cross Monastery.  And every Easter afternoon we would sing the Bach
cantata, "Christ lag in Todesbanden".

Finally, a couple of years ago, the monk who sings in Kairos relayed the
gentle request of the brothers that we consider some other observation of
the season, but not on Easter, since after Easter morning, they are all
just exhausted, and want to sleep. It was hard for them to bring it up
because they really love "Christ Lag" and really loved the way we sang it,
but they were just too exhausted.

So we decided to do a concert on Palm Sunday modeled after our Lessons and
Carols service of Xmastide. One of the monks (since gone to glory) who has
a droll sense of humor referred to the new service idea as "a service of
lessons and dirges" While we didn't put it in any published material, the
name has stuck. And it gives the group the opportunity to dive into a
different and very rich variety of music. And on Palm Sunday the Brothers
aren't so exhausted.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford