[Magdalen] Interesting perspective on BCP revision

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 19:43:24 UTC 2017

Chad you really think that the "old guys" will let anyone pry their hands off the potential revision?
Lynn

On Apr 26, 2017, at 12:38 PM, Charles Wohlers <charles.wohlers at verizon.net> wrote:

Back in the 50's there was conflict in the jazz world between those who liked the newer bop styles (such as what Charlie Parker played) and those who preferred the older big band and swing styles. The former termed the latter "mo(u)ldy figs". This guy seems to me to be a moldy fig. He reminds me of those who fought the 1979 BCP and wanted to retain the beloved 1928 book. Just how empty do you think our parishes would be if we hadn't dropped the 1928 BCP? Just like those who claim the drop in attendance in Episcopal churches is due to acceptance of homosexuality and other leftist innovations, he thinks it would be much worse if we revised the 1979 BCP. Neither is correct. What he doesn't address is how many folks would be attracted the the church if the liturgy was modernized - well, actually he does somewhat, but those folks are apparently the "wrong sorts of people".

Now I like the 1979 BCP, but I'm an old guy and am not the future of the church. Periodic revision is necessary because society changes.

End of rant -

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com