[Magdalen] Taking care of our neighbors in the yard

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 20:58:35 UTC 2017

Critter lover here as well.  My backyard condo garden (flowers and herbs) is
filling in nicely with the cool for April weather here and sunny days. The
squirrels can be pests, but funny antics, I've finally gotten the Cardinals
to eat sunflower seeds from one of my feeders, the hummers are here (for
now) and the only sadness... a feral and pregnant calico nabbed a male
cardinal out of my mulberry tree (in a pot)  in the blink of an eye last
week.... I had not even noticed him until he jumped away with something RED
in his mouth. He must have been starving, but it was a sad day.  For several
days the female kept coming around just looking. Now their brood is here
eating peaceably at the feeder. Lizards and bright green frogs (hiding but
noisy) and my 'guard toad' (huge, I'm telling you.... perhaps even biggly)
who has a few favorite haunts that I often find him snoozing in by accident
while watering or moving some potted plants around.  There have been reports
in the community of snakes but I've never seen one in my yard in 9 years.

Sigh. I do love my tiny spot of garden.... just the other day I pondered if
loving the book _Secret Garden_ in my youth contributed to my love of
gardening.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
"Either Freedom for all or stop talking about Freedom at all" from a talk by
Richard Rohr
"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they
oppress." F Douglass