[Magdalen] Communication

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 22:40:38 UTC 2017

A couple were sitting having their breakfast. Seemingly out of nowhere, the
wife asked a question.
"Harold, if I were to die tomorrow, would you get married again?"
Harold looked up from his poached egg, "Well, Martha, that is the most
ridiculous thing! Here we are having what should have been a very pleasant
breakfast, with such nice weather, and here you are, bringing up such a
distasteful topic!"
Harold simply returned silently to his breakfast.
But Martha would not be so easily put off.
That evening, as they were getting ready to retire, she asked him again,
but he again rebuffed here and refused to speak of it.
She asked again a few more times, and finally Harold could stand no more.
"Dammit, Martha, if it will make you let this go, I'll answer you.  Yes, I
probably would get married again."
Martha had more questions. "Well, would you sell the house?"
"No. No," said Harold. I've lived in it this long. I think I'll stay, for
now.
"Well, would you sell the bed?"
"No. No, I don't think so. It's a good bed. I'd hate to have to get used to
a new one."
"Well, would you let her use my gold clubs?"
"No. No. -- She's left-handed."

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford