[Magdalen] Tragedy in Charlottesville

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Sat Aug 12 21:45:57 UTC 2017

More than a ruckus, with one dead and 19 injured when a car plowed into a
group of counterprotesters -- and nothing to do with the University, as I
understand it, but rather white supremacist rallies centered around a city
park. I'm sure students were present, but not a university event or
connection. Isn't Grace in or very near Charlottesville? Once again, our
president proved himself to be an ignorant, bigoted jerk, but what's new
about that?

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 4:10 PM Cantor03--- via Magdalen <
magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

> There have been a spate of demonstrations about the removal
> of Confederate War monuments in the USA, and this includes
> that at the U. Virginia campus secondary to the removal of a
> statue of Robert E. Lee, the supreme commander of the
> Confederate Armies.  I gather that dozens, if not hundreds of  these
> memorials are scattered across the USA South, and dating from
> the immediate post Civil War period.  They feature either a
> generic southern soldier, or one or more of the commanders of  the
> Confederate Army.
>
> Whatever opinions may be,  I wonder, however, how these
> memorials came to be in the first place.  This is especially  true
> of the depiction of the commanders such as Lee and Jackson.
> I can still remember vividly flying out of Atlanta Hatfield Airport
> right over the Stone Mountain, GA with its three confederate
> figures (Lee, Jackson, and Davis, the latter President of the
> Confederate States.  It was a kind of surprize.
>
> It would seem to have been sensible to discourage these  memorials
> from the outset and thus spare the country the pain of the move
> to remove them.  Oddly, I think Spain may have chosen the
> better route by memorializing the dead of both sides of the Spanish
> Civil War in the same monuments:
>
> _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle_de_los_Ca%C3%ADdos_
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle_de_los_Caídos)
>

> DS.