[Magdalen] Eclipse Photos

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 19:25:59 UTC 2017

For Christmas this year, my beloved spousal unit gave us a trip to
Portland, OR where son #3 Michael now lives and works. It was a very
quick trip! We flew out on Saturday and back on Tuesday.

On Sunday, Georgia and Bob Dubose and I attended a very, very lively
service at St. Michael's and All Angels Episcopal Church in Portland.
We met her daughter's husband (daughter is in Taiwan for CME;
daughter's husband due in Edinborough as a composition of his is being
played there - at least that is my understanding!) and picked up her
grandson Maxwell, a very lively young man 6 years old. We ate lunch at
the Eatery at the Grant House in old Fort Vancouver with Mary Sicilia,
once of this list. We had a lively, lovely, entertaining time with Bob
Dubose (former history teacher, former photography teacher, former
diplomat) and Mary Sicilia (former history teacher) trading many
stories, histories, and book reviews!

Monday, we met with son Michael and his buddy Terence (who we know as
Michael - he decided to go by a different name in his new life in
Vancouver, WA) at 4:30am to drive to the eclipse-viewing site. We
ended up on US 26 just west of Madras, OR where we had a PERFECT view
of Mt Jefferson to our west, and the Sun to our east. I realized that
the underlying reason I wanted to see an eclipse in person was an
excerpt from Annie Dillard's book "Teaching a Stone to Talk" about the
solar eclipse in Washington state in 1979. It is an awesome, poetic
recounting of the experience.

We had plenty of eclipse glasses - handed out some on the plane,
handed out more at the roadside stop, still have some left (to send
off for an eclipse on another continent?). Craig set up his iPhone
with a lens and eclipse glasses to take the full eclipse. The rest of
us video'd the moon shadow approach. I posted it on FaceBook, not sure
it's available generally. I could share it via Dropbox if anyone is
interested?

After the eclipse, the 4 of us in a small-ish rental car (with a 6'0"
son, none of us is small) wended our weary way back to the Portland
area very, very, very slowly.

It was worth it.

Cady
back at home, back at work,
still stunned by our world & its dancing partners