[Magdalen] Charleston Receipt.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:46:45 UTC 2017

No, those words you listed would be pronounced in the English way (first
syllable accented; no French long vowel in second syllable).

In the case of "homage," it would usually be pronounced HOM-ij (or some
insist on OM-ij), but the French pronunciation would show up when the word
is used in the context of the arts, I'd think: "Smedley's latest oeuvre is
an homage to the Omaha school of barn design," or something. :)    oh-MAHzh.

I noticed "FILL-it-ed" in an NHK "Begin Japanology" episode on how eels are
used in Japanese cuisine. We'd say fih-LAID.

That's why one of our crap fast-food chains is called Chik-Fil-A.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA