[Magdalen] Charleston Receipt.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 20:07:08 UTC 2017

In a message dated 8/29/2017 3:43:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

Some in  the eastern United States  >>>>>>>>>>>>>
More English variation chattering -

I suppose it is the Germanic/Scandinavian influence in the Upper
Midwest USA , but I am used to the "oo" sound in words such as
"choose" and "movie" being produced by a full puckering of
the lips, and a sound like that of a hoot of an owl.

Here in my part of the Middle Atlantic states, that "oo" sound is
converted over to something like "cheuse" and "meuvie."  This
vowel sound does not require full puckering of the lips.

Another English language observation: many Kiwis and Aussies
strike me as converting short "e's" such as those in "ten"
or  "depend" into "daypaind" and "tain."  There is a seeming  desire
to avoid the French schwa "e" and e as in eh, and replace as
indicated.  The cooking show with Anabel Langbein (which I love)
will show what I mean.

David S.