[Magdalen] Houston

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 18:06:34 UTC 2017

...I call the "efforts" to accommodate too much concrete (new outer loops and tollways, 100s of new subdivisions , to name a few) by the USArmy corps of Engineers
: "TX mathmagic".
They forecast scenarios, calculate "additional run-off" added to the existing "area" loosely defined, then come up with formulas for widening already existing rivers, creeks and bayous (words often used interchangeably), and/or digging huge sloped sided grass-planted basins, also based on mathemagical calculations, that "confirm" safe retention of water in case of flooding (??!!?) for new communities, which are then often dug larger and deeper so they can become a "water feature" of the new community, which still conforms to the formula because they've dug it larger to accommodate the water they're adding for decorative purposes.

No one knows or wants to say ENOUGH, NO MORE, so the city and the area E, W, and N keep building and expanding.
When I moved in 1987 the middle class subdivisions in the unincorporated areas 20+ miles from the city were very transient- corporate employers transferring people in and out, sometimes in just a few years. People had no sense of potential tragedy in the form of nature events if they didn't actually experience them. The '90s saw more new residents who moved in for long term OR like us, transferries laid off and unable to move without a job at the other end in a new location.

Such is life. I have been thinking for a while about moving away from TX but it is complicated.

Have confirmed Sunday tickets home (for now at least), have figured out the rest of our itinerary- blessed to be seeing even more family and old friends than our original scenario included. My house/condo is still dry. I am blessed.
Lynn