[Magdalen] Ruckus at U. Virginia

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 20:37:20 UTC 2017

This poem comes to mind (wonder how many others are familiar with it):

http://www.civilwarhome.com/blueandgray.html

It begins:

*By the flow of the inland river,    Whence the fleets of iron have
fled,Where the blades of the grave-grass quiver,    Asleep are the ranks of
the dead:        Under the sod and the dew,            Waiting the
judgment-day;        Under the one, the Blue,            Under the other,
the GrayAnd it ends:*

*No more shall the war cry sever,    Or the winding rivers be red;They
banish our anger forever    When they laurel the graves of our dead!
Under the sod and the dew,            Waiting the judgment-day,        Love
and tears for the Blue,            Tears and love for the Gray.*

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford