[Magdalen] Word help, please

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 23 04:17:50 UTC 2017

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.>>>Thanks, Ann—that was actually one of the first things I tried—unsuccessfully! A couple of people said to adjust a command having to do with space between paragraphs, and that took care of it.  I have no idea why!<<<

Word is Evil, so there's no need to know why, only THAT it happens.

My experience is that Word defaults to 1.5 line spacing, and that choosing the obscure "Remove Space After Paragraph" option in a thing with no worded name but rather the ubiquitous "icon" that refers to line spacing, not only does the trick, as Grace says, but (I think) makes 1.5 become 1.0, and bingo you're typing like back in the day when real wordprocessing was, ahem, real wordprocessing (former career typist clerk speaking here).  What I suggested to Grace is that the random nature of what she's been encountering is, possibly, due to sometimes starting with a blank document, and sometimes starting with a former document that she's already "fixed" as it were.  Just a thought.  And of course maybe not the case.

For what it's worth, I never mastered "columns".  In the WordPerfect Days of Yore, and the Godsend "Reveal Codes" (codes you could edit separate from the actual text of the document no less), there were very, very few such problematical crappinesses.