[Magdalen] RBG

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 16:50:30 UTC 2017

I had the good fortune yesterday to go to Lexington, VA, to hear Justice Ginsburg at Virginia Military Institute and Washington &Lee University.
She was delightful--talk about great things in small packages!
It wasn't a political event at all--the one public part of a days-long convocation at W&L--and it was an interview format with her two biographers. She had written the decision of 20 years ago in The United States vs. The Commonwealth of Virginia that forced VMI to begin admitting women. (Yes, only 20 years ago!)
In talking about that decision, in which Scalia dissented, she said that he told her, "It will be the death of VMI!" He was wrong, of course. She and Scalia were good friends, as you may know, and at one point she was quiet for a moment and said softly, "I miss him."
As an aside, it was quite amazing to see 1700 uniformed cadets file into the hall. And even 20 years later, women make up only 10% of the student body.