[Magdalen] "insane"

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Feb 6 04:09:35 UTC 2017

Does anybody have any idea why the term "insane" seems to be
complimentary or approving these days, especially in spam or clickbait,
perhaps in modern slangy language, as the word "bad" was (mainly only
for teenagers) a few years ago?  Teens, of course, delight in having
their own language that confuses older people, cementing their age-group
as an in-group, then the teens 5-10 years younger have totally stopped
using it in that way, and the ones who originally used it seem to have
also stopped, but "insane" appears me to be in spots attempting to reach
the adult population.  It does have its normal connotation of "weird" or
"unusual", but it also appears to have an approval, "superlatively good"
message attached.  I only began noticing seeing it used this way in the
last 5-10 years, and it doesn't seem to me to have the feel of an
in-group thing, but to be in contexts aimed at everybody.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net