[Magdalen] From +Georgia

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:50:56 UTC 2017

I think it's a little British and/or old-fashioned: a bishop takes the
name of his/her diocese as a surname--or others just refer to him/her
that way. Further fun comes from English bishops of dioceses with
traditional Latin names/abbreviations: +Ebor for York, +Cantuar for
Canterbury, +Sarum for Salisbury. So the bishop of Salisbury known as
David can sign himself +David Sarum. I've seen a hymnal's preface
signed Derwyn Toronto.

But I've often seen the shorthand you're referring to: +Chicago for
Jeffrey Lee, or +Cantuar for Justin Welby.

OO...then there's +Dunelm for Durham, IIRC.

There's the story of a House of Bishops meeting at which the bishops
were lined up to sign in, and the bishop of Western New York got to
the book and saw the previous entries: +William Albany, +James
Chicago, etc., and he picked up the pen and wrote +Buffalo Bill.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA